Heres how i Made my Lovely Nana a Alzheimer’s Dementia Fidget Lap Blanket Quilt
I decided to make my lovely nana a Alzheimer’s Dementia Fidget Lap Blanket Quilt after i seen Autistic children enjoy a weighted/fidget blanket. I instantly thought oh WOW what i great idea!!! i wonder if my Nana would like something like that. She's now at the Stage in her Alzheimers illness, that she can't comprehend to not pull the cotton on her buttons, as obviously there will fall off and she could potentially eat them (which is obviously NOT a good thing). She also likes to fidget a lot!!! but this fabulous woman has always been busy with her hands ever since she was a little girl she has knitted, she got so good that she could knit a full adults Cardigan in like a night or 2!, without even taking her eyes off the TV.
Its so sad to see my Nana deteriorate in front of my eyes 🙁 and feel totally helpless at the same time. Although this Awful disease has robbed us of a Wife, Mum, Nana and Great-nana... It won't stop us from loving her and treating her like the queen she has always been.
This is my reason for creating my Nana this Fidget Blanket, as i just hope it gives her some Comfort, something nice to feel and touch and to know that she's very much cherished.
Im forever sewing anything and everything i think Oooo i like that!... so i tend to always have a stash of fabric ready and waiting to be used including lots of appliques etc. This whole Fidget Blanket took me around an hour or so to do!... which is great for anyone who wishes to make these and donate... I hope you throughly enjoy making these and know that your doing good for your loved ones or community.
Heres How I did It:
- I opted to make my very own Felt Flower from this Tutorial that I've previously made before and Stitched it securely onto the Blanket. Alternatively if you prefer to just purchase a Pre-made Felt flower, you can purchase lots of pretty ones HERE
- A little felt bird with ribbon for little legs, that i allowed to dangle and be free, especially great for twiddling.
- Buckles are also a great item for those fiddlers, i would say to be careful which type of buckle you use. You don't want the buckle to be too hard/stiff to undo and re-do... I literally bent the prongs on this buckle so that it slid in and out without much pressure to avoid trapping fingers/skin.
- I quite liked the thought of having a envelope style Pocket so that my Nana could put something inside, like her tissues or sweeties. so i literally just made a square, added a flap at the top and attached some velcro on both parts so that it kept things inside.
- I had some letter beads left over from another craft and i thought what a better way than to Stamp my Nanas name on the blanket... but to simply add the Beads to some ribbon and now she can fiddle with the beads, but also her Nurse knows that the blanket belongs to her... she's forever borrowing other peoples belongings lol so this should help some.
- You can also add zips, Ribbon bows etc
- Lots of lovely, bright, different colours, different thickness ribbons in a row. Gives the user something different to feel.
- I then backed her blanket in some very sumptuous Cuddle Soft Fabric... It adds bit of thickness and weight to the blanket which also helps soothe the user when in use.
If you prefer to purchase a Ready Made Blanket.. Click on the Links Below: